Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A stride of aragorns


So I am still working on my LotR stuff and after a glamdring of Gandalfs I present a stride of Aragorns, but this time just three!   As with the Gandalf figures, these were painted a while ago just for the fun of painting them.
The first figure is the Aragorn figure out of the fellowship of the ring box set and he looks very much a ranger type figure, dressed for a life in the wilds.

 After painting the first figure, I bought a pack that container a mounted and foot version of the character.  Strangely, this version is clean shaven and so is not based on the film version (I cannot recall him clean shaven at any part of the film(s) )
 I think that if it was being true to the book then he would be carrying the broken shard of narsil instead of the whole sword he is brandishing but that does not spoil the figure.
 The mounted version is a nicely animated figure and fun to paint.

 And finally a group shot.  I'm not sure why I have this need to collect more than one version of the same character except that each is slightly different to paint and I enjoy them, being a bit of a fan boy :)
I have to confess at this point that I am watching auctions on trade-me ( the nz version of ebay only much!!!!! smaller) of alternate versions of both gandalf and aragorn, so whatever the fascination is, it is still going strong.
However, there are a few non gandalfs or aragorns also going through so we shall have to see what I finally decide on.  It's just unfair that I cannot just buy them all....:(

11 comments:

  1. Great stuff again! And it couldn't be anything else but a stride of Aragorns, could it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely job on them all. I must admit I prefer this version of Aragorn far more mysterious looking. I think with regards to his facial hair even a quick google people have done different paintjobs from full beard to stubble. Go figure I can't advise lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the clean shaven version looks a bit too clean to be a proper ranger but I still like the figure!

      Delete
  3. Very nice CW. Lovely paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super stuff CW. I'll await your cheque Ref "Glamdring of Gandalfs" - Australian dollars will be fine :-) I really love your clean painting style, as it really makes the colours wonderfully bold and bright. Super stuff... and more reason than ever to put away my own "LoTR" minis and wait until everyone has forgotten about your super painting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the term..:) The cheque will be in the post! I am quite critical of my painting and would love to be better but I bet that describes most of us. You should start doing yours as past experience suggests that I will stray from this path before too long....:(

      Delete
  5. They're all very nice. Actually, I think I like the horse the best, though the rider's sword stretched out sideways must make it difficult to store that model safely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you:). I like painting horses. There is a great chapter in one of the Kevin dallimore books about painting them and that seemed to help me a lot. I don't have a enough LotR stuff painted yet for storage to be an issue. They currently fit in an old 'old glory' 15mm army box. However, I have enough figures on my painting table to make this not practical any longer so will let you know if I get problems!!!:)

    ReplyDelete