Saturday, February 7, 2015

Problem solved!!


In a previous post I mentioned that I was just finishing off two more Hasslefree survivors before moving on to painting something different (Which sort of worked, as we shall see later!).
So here they are.  First up is Dionne.  I like the figure but the facial detail is very smooth and I think she looks a little deformed although it may just be my painting of her.  :)
 I think that anyone who dresses in skin tight body suits exhibit a level of confidence in their own ability to do something that they should do well in the zombie apocalypse, whatever that something turns out to be!!  I don't think that it would be my choice in outfit in a similar situation......

The second of the two figures is called Sadie.  I think that I felt that it was time to move on to painting other stuff as a change after I was again dissatisfied with the results I was getting with the survivors.  I think that Sadie is a good figure but I am not happy her paint job.  Ahh well....plenty more figures in the paint queue!!
I think mainly its her pants that bother me the most.  I might just repaint them at some point.

Last post I asked what to do with a free figure that was the same as one of those I had bought in the same order.  I decided to do the sensible thing and paint one as a survivor and one for my pulp Egypt project.
The survivor version is Mila Sansom- Etheridge, famous party girl adjusting to the new reality of the zombie apocalypse.  (need to touch up the base edge a little, I think)

And her Grandmother, Evelyn Etheridge, American socialite on her world tour.  She currently resides in Cairo as she collects a few momentos to send home to Daddy, a passionate Egyptophile.

A family photo!!

On the table at the moment  are some more pulp figures, which I am enjoying painting and  some more modern buildings.
Thanks for looking.  

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. additional figures are always useful!!

      Delete
  2. Cracking stuff CW. Those patterned dresses have to be my fave bit though. They are precisely the designs I avoid because people like you paint them so well and mine look awful. Great painting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and avoid them as well but thought I would give it a go! I like the red one better of the two, I think.

      Delete
  3. Despite your misgivings on your brushwork, I think all four figures have come out really well. Mila and Evelyn are particularly good. Patterned dresses can be tough to get right but you have certainly succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vampifan :) I like the two artizan figs better than the others but maybe they will grow on me. I think I just need to do more patterns to practice.

      Delete
  4. Nice stuff mate. A long while back I painted up that model of Sadie, and a slightly different version of Dionne (same pose, but wearing a leather trenchcoat). I do recall that the facial detail on Sadie was a little "soft" which made painting her a bit more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. It's a shame about the faces as they are nice figures. I have enjoyed painting my Hasslefree minis otherwise. They still have plenty I don't have and I am sure I will get more in the not too distant future.

      Delete
  5. Great job dude! They all look really good. The dresses haved come out particularly nice. I find any free hand work difficult, making yours even more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find freehand stuff difficult too and avoid it whenever possible but I feel I will never improve if I continue this way!! :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work on them all. The floral dresses on both the Artizan figures look excellent great job on them both.

    Hasslefree faces are very delicate and I have to admit had similar thoughts when painting both my versions of the same figures. I am probably going to return to both mine and strip and repaint them at some point as my painting is much better these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always difficult when a painting style changes halfway through a collection. Having a cohesive look is nice but so is having finished miniatures......

      Delete
  7. Nicely done! If I hadn't known in advance, I wouldn't immediately have spotted that these were both the same sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - they do look quite different to each other. More so than I would have expected. I could possibly have used them both for pulp!

      Delete