Sunday, September 1, 2013

Reaper Kickstarter

 Well, it finally happened.  My reaper bones kickstarter turned up.  It has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride for the last few months, ever since they started to ship the rewards out.  I have tried very hard to keep upbeat about it all and not get too despondent about the lack of communication and the feeling that the rest of the world orders were almost second class citizens. my patience finally paid of on Friday as a box was delivered by our postie.  It had been a year since the start of the kickstarter and now I finally got to see what my money had been spent on.
 the above image was straight from the kickstarter webpage and show the figures that had been promised in the basic pack.  After a couple of hours of unwrapping them(!) I had a pile of plastic miniatures.  Below is a picture of a Bones haul.  Quite impressive.
 However, I did also buy a dragon called Kaladrax.  I have mixed feelings over him at the moment.  Due to a mix up between reaper and the Chinese company that made them he turned out much bigger than anticipated, definitely bigger than I anticipated.  He can be seen in the picture below next to a normal 28mm figure.
the model is huge, too huge for me to have any real use for him.  I could paint him and sell him I suppose but with so many other figures to paint he has to be at the bottom of my list of things to do.
I have been pleasantly surprised by the bones themselves.  Most have a good level of detail on them and am definitely happy with the deal I got from the Kickstarter.  Have started to undercoat a couple to try out.  Due to the nature of the material you cannot spray undercoat them and so brush on undercoat is the order of the day.  Also as the plastic is very hydrophobic, the undercoat cant be watered down to improve flow so I found that a couple of coats was neccessary to get rid of the glaring white bits that were missed first time through.  And as a final problem, the first one I tried wouldn't even even take a undiluted first coat as it was covered in release compound so I had to was the figures in warm soapy water.  Not a good start :(
I will be posting pictures of finished minis when I get them painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment