Tuesday, January 20, 2015

more xmas Hasslefree minis


One of the things about being inspired by a project is that I tend to try and do everything all at the same time, which leads to having many things on the go but nothing completed.  This is particularly annoying when you have set yourself the target of blogging about your progress at least once per week!!
This week I have dabbled again in building stuff for my table, painted a few figures and started to play the next episode of my campaign.  This lead to buildings that are not quite finished, figures that were painted but not based and an unfinished game still set up on my board!! To make it worse, it is Wednesday, my midweek target day for an update!!!  The easiest to get finished was the figures as my modern basing is just sand, black ink and drybrushed.  Here are the results of this weeks painting.
Again, these are Hasslefree minis that I received for xmas - I think that I have another 6 or 7 to go before they are all done!
First up is Peter.  This is the figure I painted with the last batch but the pic was too blurry to use.  This picture seems a bit better.  I tried to paint him in a school uniform look as if the apocalypse overtook him on the way home from school.  It was the lack of children figures that prompted me to put in the order from Hasslefree in the first place.
 He is wearing just a general school colour scheme and I am quite pleased with how it came out.
 Next up is Alice.  A nice figure to paint.  She strikes me as being a little disturbed (and who wouldn't be!!) by the zombie apocalypse.....
 One of the things I like about modern survivors is that it gives you chance to use some of the paint colours that you never get the chance to in more historical projects.  I think the rabbit has the back of his head blown out.....
 I struggled a bit with Baker as in trying to make him a little drab, I succeeded to the point that I didn't really want to finish him and was considering stripping him and starting again!
 The turning point was putting white stripes on his jacket and trainers as it seemed to make him a little more interesting.  He will never be my favorite paint job but it will do.

I really like the figure of Clint, and from other websites I seem to not be alone in this! :)
He is dressed in sensible denim shirt and cargo pant.  Hard wearing and functional.  I felt that this common sense approach to the apocalypse suggested a maturity lacking in some of the other figures and so I gave him a few grey hair to go with the additional years.
 Even his choice of backpack is a no nonsense green.

Anyone reading my batreps will know that I already have one version of Lara Croft, from Copplestone miniatures if I remember correctly (another of my favorite sculptors!).  I saw no point in just painting her the same but she is similar.
 She is a nice figure one I could get the arms to stay on!
Maybe next time I will do a dance/disco version to be different decked out in dayglo colours.

last up for today is Lisa Lambaste. She is a cracking little figure and fun to paint.  She has an unusual choice of melee weapon in a big maul.  This suggests some background in martial arts and a degree of competency with the weapon beyond the normal.  Lisa could generate an unusual background and even a story line all of her own.
 I always find yellow a tricky colour to paint from a black undercoat but am reasonably happy with how she turned out.
Hopefully my next update will be a batrep, which as I have already mentioned is part way through.  School starts again next week so am a little apprehensive as to how it will affect my schedule but I will try and maintain the twice a week routine I have been working to.  I have to say that I am enjoying my zombie campaign so that in itself should keep me plodding along...
Hopefully see you all at the weekend :)

14 comments:

  1. I think Hasselfree minis are the best, and great work on them :)
    Its not the end of the world if you cant post two time a week mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I know but if I am generating enough content for twice a week it means that I am still finding time to do the things I enjoy!
      I agree about Hasslefree being great minis. I am happy with how they have turned out but would love to do better !!

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff CM, really nice figures (as you'd expect from Hasslefree) with first-rate paint-jobs. I think Clint is my fave because of the blue. How did you come up with so striking a blue? Looking forward to that next AAR and if its any consolation I too have a game mid-way through on my table...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you :) The blue is a wargames foundry triad - vivid blue. I am a great fan of their paints. I think that spreading the game out over a few nights is just going to be the norm for me with this campaign. I don't mind - just playing a turn or two before going to bed is a nice way of ending the day and at least I manage to get a bit of gaming in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all just fantastic! I do like the little details such as the stripes on the trainers; it does help to make the models more real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They joy of painting survivors is that you can put little details like favorite band or just cool logos onto clothes. I did like your transfers but they would look a lot less good if I did them!!:(

      Delete
  5. They have all come out extremely well, Chris. It is hard not to be inspired when painting a Hasslefree figure.

    I was pleased to hear you like the Foundry triad paint system. I'm a huge fan of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not good at mixing paint and so have used foundry triads for a number of years. I used to pick them up at shows when I lived in the Uk as a way of spending my last few pounds but over here they are much more of a pain to get so I and an extra triad or two when I do a foundry order. I also have quite a few reaper triads and I quite like these as well. There are also a few other companies that do them ad\nd I plan on trying them out as well at some point. I am a bit of a paint junkie!!!

      Delete
  6. Really nice work on these dude! Hasslefree make great mini's for modern games. Your stripes on Baker are great and really make him pop. Great job on Clint too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sculpt of Clint he has a reality to him that some other survivor figures lack. Still not sold on my painting of Baker, but the stripes definitely help...

      Delete
  7. Some more absolutely lovely survivors- you have done a great job with them!

    Yet more Hasslefree miniatures that I think I now need....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have to just admit that I will probably end up with all of the Hasslefree survivor figures. They are just such good figures.

      Delete
  8. Great looking miniatures, you've done an excellent paintjob on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :). I am enjoying painting them (mostly!)

      Delete