Saturday, January 31, 2015

back to school! (sigh!!!)

I can't really complain as I have had a good summer holiday.  It has been quite productive in terms of painting figures, building scenery for my city and restarting my blog.  This last few days of holiday have been quite quiet in terms of what I have managed to achieve.  I have had to focus more on getting ready for work and my wife decided that the bedroom needed decorating before I went back!  Not the sort of painting I was hoping to do.
Anyway, all was not lost as I still found time to complete a couple of things for my campaign.
Carrying on with the Hasslefree survivors, I managed to complete another two.  First up is Katie, another child figure.  Armed with a baseball bat and a dustbin lid, she should be able to hold her own for a round or two if need be.  I painted her in a similar 'school uniform' colour palate to her brother ( see previous post for peter.)
 A nice, quick model to paint and a useful addition to the pool of possible encounters for my game.
 The second of my two new additions is Beth, another Hasslefree miniature.  Another nice, general figure but strangely not one that inspires a 'must use' character.  Still, I suppose she will turn up somewhere.


The other thing I managed to complete was another building.  This time it was the abandoned warehouse.  Quite a simple model and quite quick to build, and the best of all, it was a free pdf from Stoelzel's structures!!
 It is the type of building that will see a lot of use in an urban game board as many places have disused buildings.  I might even make another of them to create an abandoned area of town.
 The inside is very straight forward.  It is completely empty except a set of stairs.  I have to admit that I hate building stairs in model buildings!! :(
 first floor is pretty much the same as the ground floor, as in it's empty!
 The roof has an access way for characters to get up there and escape the zombie as undead can't climb ladders :)
 There were 3 different ways of constructing the building.  The option I chose was the layer method, which allows easier access to the bottom of the building for games.

Although I am planning more buildings in the near future (in fact I purchased some more files this week!!)  I am going to run into some storage issues very soon.  These are the shelves that the foam buildings are stored on and they are getting very full.  Might need to sort out another option soon!
I am thinking that I need to paint something other than survivors next as I am a little jaded with them.  I have a couple of figures almost finished and then after them I will paint a few other things, more of which, hopefully, next post.
Until next time....

18 comments:

  1. All good stuff! I do like Katie (though my version of the model is called "Kitty" instead :-) ). That's a good set of buildings as well, though I agree that storage becomes an issue. I have shelves that go all the way up the wall, stopping slightly short of the ceiling - and it still isn't enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more to build as a nice board really adds to the gaming experience for me. Am really not sure where I will put them but I am looking forward to building at least one of every Stoelzels models, although am slightly concerned about doing the shopping mall, although it will get done!!

      Delete
  2. Very nice figures, I'm sure they'll take on lives of their own! I too have spent the summer break (also from school) painting the walls (daughter's bedroom). It doesn't really leave you feeling like painting figures at the end of the day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no it doesn't, does it!! :) now I'm back at work I have to fit everything into the evenings and its hard :(

      Delete
  3. Lovely little mini that Katie, and nice work on Beth as well. You do have a splendid array of buildings. Very jealous. Its -5 degrees here so your complaints about your Summer holiday being over is a bit surreal :-)

    Just spotted your huge BatRep posting - not sure how I missed that but I'll be settling down to enjoy that with a cuppa and biscuit. Looks awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it:) We have just had our first rain in about 3 months this week so has been a hot dry summer! Hmmm -5, not sure I like the sound of that!!

      Delete
  4. Lovley work on the models and i see you got lots of Buildings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can never have too many buildings!! still aim to build more though!

      Delete
  5. Great job on the girls dude!
    I'm so jealous of your building collection, I've only just started mine. Great stuff, inspirational even if it's giving you a storage headache.
    Yeah, you talking about summer holidays is just bizzarre, it's bloody freezing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They add up really quickly, especially if you are not a perfectionist :) I am going to have to address the storage issue and I will let you know what I do when I solve it!!

      Delete
  6. Both Hasslefree figures are nice additions to your cast of survivors.
    The Stoelzel's derelict building is one of his better models and quite remarkable for being free. I love it.
    Storage is a perennial problem for all gamers. We could all do with more storage space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of his building. They are fun and quick to build, and most of them are easy to understand :) I like them much more than world works games stuff as the terralinks stuff drives me mad!!!

      Delete
  7. Lovely work on them both. Beth is perhaps the daughter of a gun shop owner or outdoor pursuits store? The Hasslefree kids are awesome I hpoe to strip and repaint my own at some point now my painting is somewhat better.

    The building is excellent. Storage is a pain especially by nagging other halfs. I have started to try and make buildings and scatter terrain that will fit within each other so the space is used more effectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one of my next projects is to restart my pulp egypt game and I have the same problem with my painting style being slightly different now and so do I strip the others of just accept slightly different painting?! Not sure what I will do yet....

      Delete
  8. Wow, your shelves look much like my basement. Thanks for the support. And lovely looking survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for continuing to bring out buildings that I want to make !!! I do intend to build at least one of each... Not sure which one will be next though.

      Delete
  9. Good additions to your survivors, you'll find a need for the girl with the rifle I'm sure.
    Storage is always going to be a problem compunded by having 28mm figures - more shelves !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just have to face facts and get more shelves... or stop making buildings, like that's going to happen.......

      Delete