Saturday, January 17, 2015

Another week of building stuff.

 Following on from last week I have carried on building more stuff for my zombie table.  When I posted pics of 'Mad dog' the other week I made a comment that now I just had to make him somewhere to live and that got me thinking that I had the Stoelzel's structure - fire station somewhere ready printed out and ready to be assembled. I felt that this would be a good time to make it.
Here's Mad dog outside the station house - whether he did actually work here or has just moved in and began wearing the equipment after the troubles started is unknown.  Maybe someone will ask him if they run into him in the game!
The top level is the sleeping area.  It is a bit sparsely furnished at the moment - I thought that I had the lockers printed out but must have used them for something else!  I will add them later when I have had the chance to print them off.  At the school where I teach we have some very good laser printers and we have personal accounts for our own printing.  This enables me to print off rules and buildings at very reasonable rates.  It certainly beats watching the ink levels drop dramatically on my home printer!!!  The other items for this level will have to wait until the end of the school holidays - 2 more weeks - before they will be added.


The next level down is the day area.  It has a kitchen and eating area.  I will also be adding other Items to this part, such as a tv set, some chairs etc when I get chance.
 Finally, the lowest level is where the engine would be situated.  There is little else on this level.

 Madddog again by the back door.  This was a nice, simple little build and only took a couple of hour working time to put together and it adds another option for the board.
 Something else I have been working on over the last few days is extra sheds and garages to clutter up the board.  I had a few printed of from the Stoelzels 'shed loads o sheds' product but had never been bothered to put them together.  On of the things that putting your games on the blog does is that it motivates you to finish some of these little jobs!!
For some reason I had many more insides printed than outsides and so found that I only had 3 complete shed (which amazed me as I had printed out a huge pile of pages!! - another printing job when I return to work.)
 I haven't put any shelves or other contents in yet as it wouldn't leave much room for figures if there were any found.  In the same product there are lots of shelves, lawn mowers and various other shed contents.  They look a bit fiddly to me but I may have a go at some.  We will have to see if any turn up in a game.  The sheds themselves, I feel, will be very useful and I will probably make another six or so as they are only a 20 minute job to make, maybe even less.
 I did also get  most of the way through building 2 more garages only to find I hadn't printed out any roofs for them!  (added to the printing list!)
 Again, these will be useful when completed and I will probably make a few more as there are all different designs and colours included in the product.
 That is all I have built this week but on Friday I received a delivery from Litko gaming products.  In my first episode I realised that I had no way of marking some situations on the board that was easy to be seen in photographs, specifically in that game 'duck back' and 'hunker down'. I knew that Litko made some in game aids for thw games and so I purchased some that would be of use.
 These are the status tokens in the packs (although I have just noticed that hunker down appears twice!)
I am very pleased with them and look forward to using them in my games.

After my poor attempt at building a greenhouse last week I started looking for something better than takeout containers :)  Here in nz we have something called trade-me which is a local version of ebay and I found some 3mm acetate sheet at quite reasonable price.  I got in touch with the seller as to whether he had anything thinner and he said we would send me some offcuts of 2mm sheets if I sent him a SAE, which I did.  I am eagerly awaiting its return to see what I have been given.  Hopefully enough to make a better greenhouse or two.
That is all for this post except to say that I am going to set up the board for the next episode of my game tomorrow, and hopefully play it out over the next few days.  We shall see!!

14 comments:

  1. Looking very good indeed, and I love the detail of the interiors. Very impressive; especially for a shed and garage. They'll look cracking as part of your BatReps :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping that they will fill up the empty spaces of the table ! They were very easy to make and will add extra cover :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am on a bit of a roll at the moment with buildings. I am hoping to do another one this week.

      Delete
  3. Top job on the buildings dude!
    Love the firehouse, is that a stand alone kit or part of a set?
    I need Shed loads of Sheds in my life.
    I really like the Litko tokens too dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a stand alone kit. They are very reasonably priced from wargames vault and are a great way of making a modern table. The sheds are one of those things that will never steal the limelight but will probably prove to be the most useful...

      Delete
  4. All great additions CW, I found a similar problem detailing the inside of my sheds and leaving enough space for figures.
    The fire house is a very good addtion to a town and I've found a site with a couple of card model fire stations based on real ones and a plethora of card firetrucks etc., alas no internal detailing though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now need to get an american fire truck. The one I have is a mercedes I think. Mind you, I don't get unduly stressed by those sorts of things :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad to see you making lots of Stoelzel's models, Chris. You have done a great job on all of them. You will find the Litko ATZ markers VERY useful when doing your batreps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like all the stoelzel's models. Some are a bit fiddly for me as I dont have the patience and tend to hot glue everything!!!! I am considering whether I really need the cinema. Part of me thinks yes but it looks a big piece....

      Delete
  6. Great job on the buildings mate. They all look fab. The sheds are great as is I agree adding shelves and stuff will make them more difficult to use with figuresi in them. Nice looking counters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to using the counters. I think that they will come more useful when the early days of the outbreak are over and I play more with the full rules.

      Delete
  7. Those are all great, but did you really only need 2 hours to build the fire station? I'm mightily impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. round about that, I think. It's a straight forward box shape and glue sticks and hot glue dont take long to dry. :) Its the furniture that takes the longest to do. As you can tell, I don't aim for perfection as I get a bit board and sideline it if it takes too long, so rough and useable is good enough and it sort of blends on the table. Now I have started my games I find that I want to get stuff done so I can use it.

      Delete