Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Sentinel repaint


On a 'lead adventurers forum' thread regarding superhero scenario ideas, one was floated that involved a Sentinel, a mutant hunting giant robot.  My initial thought was - what a good idea! The second was - I have one of those!! :)
After hunting it down and gluing on its hands (they are removable on the model), I undercoated it and attempted to paint it. I have to admit that I was slightly nervous about it as it is a large model and way outside my comfort zone when it comes to painting. It was slightly unwieldy to move about during the painting process and needed a few touch ups at the end.  However, I am reasonably pleased with the way it turned out.
Here it is with some other heroes in for scale.

 And just to entertain myself, here are the Avengers to fight it :)
Ironman and Thor launch themselves as the Hulk leads the way.
 Hawkeye provides some support from the rooftop, while Black widow maybe needs a bigger gun!
 It is a big model!


 Hawkeye's view of the proceedings.



Topdown view


So all I need to do now is start to paint the other 138 superheroes I got to repaint at Christmas!
comments always appreciated.

A good new year to everyone :)

10 comments:

  1. The brushwork on this piece is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was really worried half way through that I had ruined it as I have trouble altering my painting style for different sized models. I won't be in a rush to try another model this big...

      Delete
  2. Superb paint job on a most impressive model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is a nice model that at least matches the rest of my stuff now.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning stuff CW. Cracking good paint-job (on the surrounding minis as well as the Sentinel). I actually have one off of its base on my table at the moment but like you have been a little uncertain about painting it due to its size. I'd be interested to know how you attached it to a base (screw?) and how you handled it whilst painting. Inspiring stuff. Delighted to have found your blog though I'm not sure why I hadn't followed it before!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks for following! I was quite unsure as to what to do about the base and was going to paint it before I rebased it. However, more by luck than design I clicked the bottom part or the base off leaving a really thin disc that I then hot glued the hole to fill it. It seems to have worked quite well. Before that I was going to screw it to a round mdf base but was having trouble finding one!
      Handling it while painting was tricky - have your open pots of paints further back than normal as i nearly knocked them over more than once :) Good luck with yours and I look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  4. I love your repaints. Very nice job giving them more life, better feel. Your work is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! :) Generally they are nice models just given a really crappy paint job by the company that makes them. They are very addictive though.....

      Delete
  5. Very nice repaint, perhaps one of your best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was quite worried as I was doing it. Not a figure size I had done before.

      Delete